When the big toe deviates inward toward the lesser toes. A bump forms over the metatarsal and is usually painful due to continual rubbing of the shoe during gait.
- The big toe of the foot is called the Hallux.
- If the big toe begins to deviate inward toward the direction of the baby toe then the condition is called Hallux Valgus.
- A bump starts to develop on the inside of the big toe over the metatarsal bone
- This bone prominence on the inner edge is referred to as a bunion.
- Appropriate Calf Stretching
- Control / decrease pronation with corrective orthotic
- Proper foot-wear to accommodate bunion (wide toe box)
- Severe cases –surgery
- Inserts/Orthotics will not cure the patient’s problem but will help relieve the pain associated with this condition.