- A hammertoe if a flexion deformity of the POP joint of the lesser toes.
- A claw toe is a hammertoe with an associated extension deformity of the metatarsal phalangeal joint.
- Hammertoes of the 2nd and 3rd toes are improved with a slight increase in the medial longitudinal arch and by supporting the transverse metatarsal arch with a metatarsal pad.
- As with all forefoot conditions, a tight Achilles tendon is most likely present and the calf muscle needs to be stretched. (Click here to see how)
- Wearing a shoe with a large toe box helps hammertoe deformities of all four lesser toes.
- Orthopedic or deep shoes may be required