When movement of the big toe (hallux) is limited with both extension and flexion. Arthritis is most likely present.
- Pain is found on the dorsum (top) of the big toe with extension
- Often, but not always associated with some form of arthritis.
- Spurring can occur due to continually rubbing and lack of cartilage.
- (Do not wear) Avoid high heeled shoes
- Stiff sole shoes – (Dansko shoes)
- Metatarsal Pad (see picture)
- Carbon fiber insert placed under or attached to orthotic
- Appropriate Calf Stretching
- Severe cases –surgery